08 Feb What Is ERP?
As you grow as an organization, your workload increases exponentially. When you start your operations, you can manage the workload with spreadsheets and email, but there will come a time when manual management will become too difficult. That’s also when meeting customer demands takes a toll on your business.
To streamline business processes and increase agility, you need a tool that can bring together different activities under a single integrated application. One application that can help you do all of this and more is an enterprise resource planning (ERP) solution. ERP systems have a unified database that can improve the flexibility and efficiency of your business, leading to customer satisfaction and increased revenue.
At Virtual Stacks Systems UK, we want our readers to know how ERP software can help businesses cope with their growing demands. So, let’s take you through what is ERP, the benefits the application offers, and most importantly, how to choose the right ERP software.
ERP is a solution that organizations use to manage and combine the key operations of their business within one single platform. From planning, sales, and marketing to purchasing inventory, finance, human resources, and others, an ERP system can seamlessly integrate all the processes critical to running a business.
Many ERP solutions are now web-based applications that can be accessed from anywhere. This is especially helpful for remote teams during these times, as many features can be found within a single interface. ERP solutions also enhance communication between departments, thus boosting employee productivity. Finally, thanks to the integration offered by ERP, your business can cut costs by reducing tech resources that duplicate what your one ERP system already offers.
Benefits of ERP Systems for Businesses
If your business isn’t using an ERP system yet, it’s time to consider it. There are many benefits of ERP systems that you don’t want to miss out on, including:
- Protecting your business data — Data security is more important now than ever before. Today’s ERPs can better protect your business data with advanced settings for user permissions. You can also securely store files like Excel sheets and Google Docs. ERPs allow administrators to set permissions, restricting access to which users can access which information. Your ERP provider should also provide the latest security updates as they become available.
- Using community knowledge and support — Many ERP users are active on their platform’s online technical support community. When you face a problem, you can connect with other users to find a solution. You can run a simple search on your platform’s knowledge base to resolve minor problems.
- Acquiring more accurate business data — When systems aren’t integrated, your reporting data could be inaccurate and disconnected. ERP systems offer full integration and standardization of data collection for all your business reporting needs. This improves your ongoing progress reviews and how you set your goals.
- Meeting regulation needs — All businesses need to comply with government and technology regulations. Modern ERP systems are designed to make compliance easier for data security, financial accounting and product tracing.
- Improving employee productivity — Processes lacking in efficiency and scattered data can lead to higher operational costs for business, especially small-to-medium-sized business owners. ERPs rely on automation to streamline daily employee tasks and boost overall productivity.
- Offering mobile-friendly options — In the remote work environment, all sorts of devices can be used to conduct business, including mobile phones. Modern ERP solutions offer mobile-friendly options so that you can manage business and your employees can work from anywhere with ease.
- Availability of ERP choices — There are now many ERP solutions on the market for you to choose from. Different ERPs will offer unique features that can be beneficial to your industry, business size or other operational needs. You’re sure to find one that fits everything you’re looking for!
How to Choose the Right ERP Software
Clearly, your business has much to gain from implementing ERP. So, just how do you go about choosing the right ERP software for your business or organization? Follow these steps:
- Consider what your business needs — First decide what your business needs are and how an ERP solution could specifically address them. See which processes your business is struggling with, and consider how they could be improved with automation and streamlining. Think about sales, marketing and other processes.
- Set a budget — Determine how much you’re willing to spend to invest in an ERP solution. The most expensive solution might not be the right fit for your business, but it’s still important to clearly define how much your business can set aside for a reliable ERP.
- Look for flexibility — When you start out with ERP, you probably won’t need all the bells and whistles a platform can offer. Over time, however, your needs will grow as your business does. Make sure you choose an ERP system that is both flexible and scalable to your needs over time.
- Make sure it can keep up with technology — Technology is ever-changing, and your ERP solution has to be able to keep up with the latest updates over time. Otherwise, the efficiency of your ERP will begin to slow down or become defunct altogether. Make sure the developer of your ERP is regularly updating it.
- Select the right partner for implementation — Rolling out a new ERP platform for your business should be a smooth transition, but that can only be done with the right implementation partner. They should be able to provide full technical support to address any issues as they arise.
- Check for compatibility — Implementing ERP comes with integrating the many applications your business already uses. Check that your marketing automation, CRM software and other applications are all compatible with your ERP before purchasing.
- Prioritize industry features — Similar to the first step, you should always make sure that your ERP system of choice can be tailored to suit the needs of your industry, whether that be retail, manufacturing, technology or another. This will improve efficiency in the areas your business needs it the most.
Need an ERP Solution for Your UK Business?
If you are looking for a flexible, secure and reliable ERP solution, Virtual Stacks Systems UK offers our solution eZnet ERP. Our ERP solution can integrate well with your existing applications and can accommodate your growing needs. We also offer all the technical assistance and support to all our customers. Contact us today to learn more!