18 Sep 9 Techniques for Increasing Organic Traffic to Your Website
So, you have a website for your business. But is it generating the web traffic that you had hoped it would? Simply creating a website is not enough to bring you a high ranking in the search engine results pages (SERPs), increasing conversions and a positive ROI. There are two ways of bringing users to your site — either through paid or organic methods. However, you can’t have success without specific SEO (search engine optimization) and PPC (pay-per-click advertising) strategies.
Organic traffic is an essential component to your digital marketing strategy for your website. Over half (51%) of all web traffic online generates from organic search, and more than 40% of all online revenue comes from organic web traffic. Optimizing for organic traffic over paid ads has the benefit of being relatively cost-free. Therefore, no website should be missing out on gaining consistent, positive web traffic.
There are many techniques available to increase organic traffic to your website that we will take a look at. First, let’s discuss organic traffic in more detail.
What Is Organic Traffic?
According to Techopedia, organic traffic (or search engine traffic) “… refers to the visitors who arrive at a website by clicking search results leading to that particular website … Search engine traffic is used to describe traffic that a site has not paid for, in contrast to paid search engine traffic, which results from people clicking through on a sponsored search result or ad.”
Organic traffic is the traffic to your website from visitors using search engines like Google, Yahoo and Bing. This traffic comes to your site from unpaid resources, usually only if your website ranks high on these search engines. Organic website traffic delivers site visitors who are specifically looking for services or products similar to yours.
Nine Techniques for Increasing Organic Traffic to Your Website
Organic traffic is the lifeblood of your website. Optimizing your website through SEO and other methods greatly improves your chances of ranking high on the first page of Google or any other search engine, which means users are much more likely to visit your website when searching.
Here are nine techniques that can help you increase organic traffic to your website:
1. Focus on Your Audience before Search Engines — Your target audience is who you want to attract to your website, and you want them to find your engaging content. Therefore, developing useful, relevant content for your audience will start improving your SEO efforts. Research and analyze your buyer personas to understand what types of content they engage with best. Focusing only on maximizing your keywords for search engines will detract from the quality of your web content, which will cause your bounce rates to skyrocket and your ranking to eventually decline.
2. Choose Well-researched Keywords — Short and popular keywords are extremely difficult to compete for in order to rank high in search results, especially for newer websites that don’t experience heavy web traffic. Instead, research which long-tail keywords are more specific to your audience’s needs and what your website provides. This will help you rank higher for your target audience, resulting in an increase in web traffic.
3. Start a Blog Schedule — Blog posts can be the biggest web traffic boosters for your website. However, they can quickly fall into wasted potential if they are not providing your audience with the right content. Your blogs should provide relevant, useful content for your audience that also incorporates your researched keywords. Keeping a consistent blogging schedule will regularly engage your returning users while also continuously attracting new users.
4. Participate in Blogging Circles — Be sure to engage with other relevant websites, blogger, and thought leaders in your industry. This will help with both link building and generating an authentic, credible voice for your brand. Consumers engage better with brands who make an effort to be involved and show an interest in their niche market.
5. Keep Up with Relevant Content — Blogs are just one way to keep your site engagement up and increase web traffic. Videos, thought leadership articles and surveys/quizzes are other avenues to provide high-quality content to your audience. Quality is always more important than quantity, but it’s also important to consistently regulate the content you develop and publish online. Google searches websites for fresh, high-quality content, and rewards those that provide it with higher rankings. All of your content efforts will pay off when you see an increase in consistent web traffic.
6. Optimize Meta Elements — Meta data is crucial to ranking high on the SERPs. Optimizing elements such as your meta titles, URLs and descriptions help search engine algorithms understand your website better in order to provide users with relevant websites. While website plugins can be helpful, it’s not a one-time process. You must always be on top of optimizing the meta elements of your website to ensure you rank high.
7. Don’t Forget Internal Linking — Internal links within your web pages have many benefits. Most importantly, internal links can direct site visitors to other useful and relevant content on your website. The longer amount of time visitors spend on your website, the more likely your search ranking will increase because it indicates to search engines that your website is providing content that users want. Internal linking also helps search engines build a better map of your website to know which pages are more important to visitors.
8. Build External Backlinks — Backlinks are created when other websites and users link to yours because you are providing relevant content. Not only will those followers be likely to visit your website, but the back links will also improve your search rankings because search engine algorithms will learn the credibility of your site. You can build backlinks by naturally providing high-quality content. You can also directly ask other websites, business partners, and influencers to link back to your site. However, be careful not to spam others when asking for backlinks. Black hat methods of building backlinks will get your website penalized by Google.
9. Engage on Social Media — Social media is a great space to build an authentic brand voice as an extension of your website. On social media, you can share that fresh, relevant content you are consistently adding to your website. It’s up to your followers from there to share your brand and content with others, thus increasing traffic to your website. Diversify your social media accounts, and find your target audience just like you should for your website in order to maximize engagement.
Improve Your Web Presence with Digital Marketing
Organic web traffic is just one part of the equation to a successful digital marketing strategy. Consider Virtual Stacks Systems UK for your website design and marketing needs, including SEO services, PPC advertising, and social media marketing. Our completely in-house strategies can be customized to fit the goals of your organization. Contact us today to get started!