26 Apr Why Your Business Needs a Dedicated Server
It’s now essential for a successful business to have a website. In order to have a website on the internet, it needs to be hosted on a server. There are many types of hosting options available, including shared hosting, virtual private hosting, cloud hosting, collocated hosting, and dedicated hosting. Each hosting type features positives and negatives depending on your business needs.
Dedicated server hosting is a premium hosting service that can offer many benefits to businesses growing at a steady pace. While dedicated server hosting can be more costly than other hosting types, the advantages and value can outweigh the price.
So, why do you need to host your website on a dedicated server?
You may need dedicated server hosting if you expect your website to see a big increase in web traffic. Shared hosting, on the other hand, might be the right option for you if you have just started your business and don’t expect high amounts of web traffic.
What Is a Dedicated Server?
A dedicated server includes the rental and individual use of a computer that involves a web server, relevant software, and internet connection, all located in the same space as the hosting provider’s location. With a dedicated server, you will need to pay the web hosting service provider a fixed amount to rent a server to which you will have exclusive rights.
Reasons Why Your Business Needs a Dedicated Server
You may think it would just be easier to have your own server to host your website. However, this is unlikely to be the best option due to the high cost and maintenance required. On the other hand, a dedicated server is almost like having your own server that you only have to rent.
Dedicated server hosting provides a number of benefits. The top reasons to have a dedicated server include:
- Improved security – Security should be your top priority for doing business online, particularly if you are collecting sensitive data from your customers. Their data needs to be safe at all times, especially with the looming threat of cyber crimes. Choosing a dedicated server to host your website can improve your security and ward off any security breaches.
Shared hosting is only as secure as the hosting company provider, and they can be more vulnerable to cyberattacks. Communication about updates to the server can also be slow with shared servers. With a dedicated server, you have more control and awareness about your stored information. Many service providers also offer managed dedicated servers, where they handle all maintenance and updates of the server for you.
- Website and business growth – If you predict significant growth in your business and website, then a dedicated server will best fit your needs. It is much better to be prepared to handle large amounts of web traffic and growing website content. Taking too long to switch to a dedicated server can be detrimental to your customer user experience and website functionality. Research dedicated servers in advance and make the switch early.
- Load balancing – Load balancing is the distribution of workload on a server. This can be a problem with shared hosting when many accounts require server resources at the same time. Using a dedicated server allows all functions and processes to be scheduled in advance for an even load distribution.
- Server and traffic load – If your website is already experiencing at least 1,000 individual page visitors a day, a dedicated server is necessary. A shared server cannot keep up the performance of your website and many others at the same time during high traffic times due to limited resources and the compromising of RAM and bandwidth. Dedicated servers can take very high volumes of web traffic without hindering your website’s performance.
- Custom programming choices – Dedicated server hosting allows for customized programming with cron jobs, shell scripts or any other custom software. Few options for customization are available with shared hosting. For dedicated hosting, you can choose hardware specifications, the operating system and other programming options.
- Web page load speed – Slow load speeds can be catastrophic to your website. Visitors are extremely likely to leave if your site takes more than three seconds to load. Slow page load times can also bring down your website ranking in search engine results. Sharing resources on a shared server can severely slow down your load speed. A dedicated server ensures fast page load times because no resources are being shared.
If you’re not ready to dive into dedicated server hosting, or if you are searching for other hosting options, Virtual Stacks Systems UK offers many cloud-based hosting solutions for your business needs. Consider starting small with email hosting for your business with eZcloud Mail! All of our hosting solutions are backed by top cybersecurity measures and are guaranteed with 24/7 technical support.
Contact us today to get started on your hosting plan.